Monday 5 May 2014

Whimbrels and more

We spent the evening in the murky rain in Landshipping. However, despite this there was plenty of bird life on and around the estuary. The first bird was a male Wheatear foraging on the wall of the quay. We decided to brace the elements and walk further around the estuary. From the quay I could not find any birds on the mudflats. Walking a little further there were 3 summer plumaged Dunlin, which I got quite close to. At this point we were going to turn back because I was soaking and the visibility was getting worse, but my dad said we should go further. A few steps on my dad found a Whimbrel, then I found c20 Black-tailed Godwit (nice to see pretty much all of them breeding plumage) a pair of Shelduck, another small flock of Dunlin and at least 5 more Whimbrel. Back at the car the Wheatear was still foraging and 2 fly over Greylag Geese ended the day nicely.
I admit these photos are awful, but I blame the weather.
 Wheatear

 Dunlin

 Black-tailed Godwit


Whimbrel

No comments:

Post a Comment