Sunday 11 May 2014

Pantmaenog Forest and the Uplands of Pembrokeshire

After lunch we spent the rest of the day in the Preseli Hills and Pantmaenog Forest. On the way there a fly over Red Kite and 2 Red-legged Partridges weres a good start. The first few minutes in Pantmaenog Forest I didn't find much but a singing male Whitethroat and a pair of Stonechats. However further on I heard my first reeling Grasshopper Warbler, I managed to catch a quick glimpse but it was sulking very elusively in a small bush. Walking towards Rosebush slate quarry I heard a faint 'cuck-oo' sound, this was my first Cuckoo for years!! We tried to get closer and eventually it was singing directly above me from a pine tree, it then flew away closer to the quarry. We carried on the path and passed about 5 Willow Warblers when I heard a Cuckoo singing again, probably the first bird. I found it in a pine tree and it showed well for about 10 minutes. A few steps on and a Tree Pipit was singing in another tree again with a few Willow Warblers around. The path took us to Rosebush village where we had a quick stop. During the time I noted a pair of Kestrels on top of the valley and 4 Siskins and 3 Lesser Redpoll were flying around the village. By now it was getting dark so we headed back to the car. On the way back I heard another reeling Grasshopper Warbler, which offered slightly better views, 1 Willow Warbler and a Reed Bunting.
Red-Legged Partridge

Cuckoo


 Siskin

 Willow Warbler

Tree Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment