Saturday 1 October 2016

West Penwith

A day off from lectures on Thursday allowed me to head west to catch up with some birds around West Penwith. Firstly I went to Gwithian ( actually just out of the area known as West Penwith) hoping to connect with the juvenile Rose-coloured Starling. It didn't take long, once at Towan Chalets, to find a group of 30 Starlings and the Rosy, only the second I've seen.
Next to Sennen, where a Richard's Pipit was apparently present in fields south of the school. After walking the fields for about an hour I was beginning to lose hope. I only managed a few Skylark, lots of Meadow Pipits and a Snipe. Just before giving up I tried the far west of the field which had the longest grass. Whilst walking over there a pipit flew up from the long grass and gave a clear "shreep"...the RICHARD'S PIPIT! it flew high over my head and drop back on the other side of the field. Over the next half an hour I saw it twice more as it flew from field to field. Also a Whinchat and 2 Wheatears.
Lastly, I went further south to Porthgwarra. It was fairly quite at first with a couple of Goldcrests and a Blackcap near the car park. 2 Choughs flew over the cliffs and Stonechats were everywhere. Things got very exciting at one point when I flushed a large pipit looking bird from the footpath above the valley. Views were extremely brief. So much so that, at first, I wasn't sure what family the bird belonged too. As I turned the corner of the footpath it flew up from by my feet and down into the valley. Despite looking around the area for a good hour I never saw it again...one that slipped through the net perhaps? After getting a bit lost for a while I made my way back to Porth Loe and found a few birders watching the Red-backed Shrike. I joined them and had great views of the juvenile in the valley.


Rose-coloured Starling

Richard's Pipit (record shot)


Red-backed Shrike

No comments:

Post a Comment