Monday 10 October 2016

Lizard on the weekend and Pectoral Sandpiper today

I was on the Lizard both Saturday and Sunday. Despite missing a Pallas's Warbler and a Red-throated Pipit on Saturday, which were both found when I was there, I had an enjoyable time. I started at Kynance where the 2 1st winter male *Ring Ouzels* were still present in the valley. Next on to Church Cove and after a thorough such of the cover, 3 Firecrests together were a nice reward. Walking through the village towards Lizard Point, I heard the familiar "sooeet" call coming from a private garden. Unfortunantely I didn't see the bird, but it was no doubt another *Yellow-browed Warbler*. Elsewhere, Skylarks, Pipits and Chaffinches were moving overhead, another Ring Ouzel (1st winter female) was in Housel Bay and a Whinchat was in the field south of the village.
 Most notable on the Sunday was the number of birds migrating overhead. 4 Tree Pipits, 3 Siskins, 10+ Skylarks and 10 Redwings flew south west in half an hour with Chaffinches almost continously. I brief check of Church Cove revealed nothing much apart from a few Chiffchaffs. At Housel Bay, the Ring Ouzel was still present and a smart juvenile Merlin flew through.

1st winter female Ring Ouzel

This morning I popped down to College Lake to see if yesterdays Pectoral Sandpiper was still present. It wasn't long before the smart juvenile was visible feeding on the north of the island. Views were good but a little distant and it would move to the other side of the bank regularly and disappearing from view.  I went down again this evening, to see it was still there, it was and offered fantastic views until the light began to fade. 

Pectoral Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment