Monday 6 February 2017

Patchwork Challenge 2017

This year I've registered four patches for PWC 2017 on their superb new website. Two back at home (Wales mini league) and two in Cornwall (Coastal South and Inland South mini leagues)

1. Amroth to Pendine



I couldn't fit Amroth and Ginst Point into a 3km patch so I had to split them in two. This patch is the stretch of coastline between Wiseman's Bridge and Marros. The patch also includes some small valleys, the moorland and woodland near Llanteg and my garden. Plus it over looks Camarthen Bay which has nationally important numbers of wintering Common Scoter, although they're often very distant. During the first week of January when I was back home, I visited nearly every day. The first bird of note was the 1st winter Yellow-legged Gull that's been around Amorth and Wiseman's Bridge for the last few weeks. On the 4th the a large raft of Scoters had come reasonably close in off Marros and Morfa Bychan. Viewing from the far east end of patch and looking over towards Morfa Bychan, I made way through a raft of about 1,500 birds. It was worth it! About mid-way through the raft I picked out a cracking adult drake Surf Scoter!! Unfortunately, view was only brief and almost as soon as I found it, I lost it as it tucked it's head and went back to sleep. What a start to 2017! The next day I went down to the same site but with no success. Some consolation was a Velvet Scoter and 6 Brent Geese flying east, which are actually quite rare along this coastline.


2. Ginst Point



This patch is the far east end of Pendine beach and the Taf estuary. It also includes the wet inland fields which have thousands of Golden Plovers and Lapwings in the winter. Its on MOD land so access is only permitted on weekends and there are certain areas with no access at all. However, despite this there are some great birds around the area. Some of the highlights last year were, a Spoobill, Marsh Harrier and a Curlew Sandpiper. Unfortunately, I didn't have anytime to visit the site before I moved back to Cornwall so my score will sit at 0 until I get home!


3. Lizard Point


I adopted Lizard Point as my patch when I started university in September last year. During the autumn I racked up a nice selection of common migrants and a few scarcities amongst them. The potential of Lizard Point is truly amazing and it's why I'm so motivated to regularly cover the site. It's one of the few places where you feel anything could turn up, as the whole area has a very 'rare' feel! Although the area is fairly quite at the moment, there's still a few interesting things about. To start, my first day out was rewarded with a good movement of auks past the point, with mostly Guillemot and Razorbills but also a single Puffin! Since then other noteworthy birds have included, 4 Black-throated Divers past, a male Hen Harrier, Jack Snipes, a Yellow-legged Gull and probably best, a *Sooty Shearwater*! I'm really excited to see what the year will bring to this fantastic place.


4. College and Argal Reservoirs


As these sites are so close to where I live, I thought I'd turn them into a patch. There's a nice selection of woodland around the reservoirs which is a really good place for Firecrest, and the reservoirs themselves have good numbers of wintering wildfowl. There's also a small reedbed at the south end of College Reservoir which has had a Bittern in the past, but we haven't had any luck with that...yet. Although College Reservoir is considerably better in terms of number of birds, Argal still have it's moments, like that Whiskered Tern in September last year! I've also included some of the surrounding fields which often have winter stubble for larks, finches and buntings or may hold the odd migrant in spring and autumn. I am currently up to 64 species which includes some nice birds like Firecrest, the 1st winter drake Scaup (which I found at College in December), Med. Gulls and a wintering Yellow-browed Warbler.


1 comment: