Sunday 18 September 2016

Jynx torquilla

Yesterday morning I was back on the Lizard to see what was around. Having been there only ten minutes it was clear to see that there was a notable increase in birds around there area. Meadow Pipits and Skylarks were moving overhead and Chiffchaffs seemed to be everywhere. Blackcaps were also in good numbers. I counted 14 in total but there were no doubt more in the deeper cover.
The walk I do to cover as much as the point as I can takes me west past Bass Point and towards the Housel Bay Hotel. Whilst walking this stretch of the coast path a bird flew up and landed on the fence post just in front of me... it was a WRYNECK! It quickly dived into cover but then briefly landed in the open before flying off again. Despite searching the immediate area for a while I couldn't re-locate it, but that didn't matter, I'd found a Wryneck. The rest of the walk was fairly quite apart from a Wheatear by Housel Bay and a Garden Warbler in Caerthillian Cove.

Wheatear about to take off

No comments:

Post a Comment