Sunday 28 February 2016

The weekend- Firecrests, Yellow-browed, Black-throat and Eider

A great weekend birding in Pembrokeshire started with the female/imm Black Redstart in Amroth on Saturday morning. That afternoon I went to Monk Haven to see the Yellow-browed Warbler. In the Churchyard there were 2 stunning Firecrests and 2 Chiffchaffs. Unfortunately, after an 1 hour and half of looking I only had a very brief and frustrating glimpse of the Yellow-browed.
I managed another visit today and this time it showed great in the sunshine, I also heard it call on several occasions. It frequented the tall alders between the car park and the Church. The 2 Chiffchaffs were seen again today but no sign of any Firecrests. Afterwards, I had a quick look at the Gann. The only birds of note here were 13 Pale-bellied Brent Geese.
Later at Broad Haven: there were plenty of scoters out in the bay, 1 Red-throated Diver and the highlight was a smart *Black-throated Diver*. I watched it for a while as it foraged of the north end of the beach. A look at Druidston was rewarded with a fine drake Eider.




Yellow-browed Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment