Friday 5 June 2015

SWAINSON'S THRUSH on Skokholm!!

As soon as finished my exams, on the 2nd, I heard that a Swainson's Thrush was found on Skokholm. I didn't expect to see it because it was on Skokholm which is particularly hard to get to so it came as a surprise that a twitch would be arranged. A boat was set to leave on Thursday but I couldn't get a place. However, Dave Astins and the Skokholm wardens arranged a small rib to take 12 people hoping to see the bird today. 

The boat trip over was bumpy but great fun. It was made even better when a Risso's Dolphin put in a brief appearance in broad sound. After the half an hour crossing we arrived at South Haven soaking 
wet. We were met off the boat by the warden who then lead us up to the courtyard where the bird spent most of its time. It wasn't long before the fantastic SWAINSON'S THRUSH appeared on its usual perch. It showed well on and off for the whole time, but it was clearly more active, sending prolonged periods in the leaf litter searching for food out of view but would always return its perch. I was so preoccupied with watching the bird I forgot to take pictures of it. Luckily just before we left it showed one last time and I managed to get a quick photo but the bird was partially obscured. 


SWAINSON'S THRUSH

No comments:

Post a Comment