Sunday 22 March 2015

St David's Head and other sightings

I had a great morning at St David's Head with the highlight being a stunning little Dartford Warbler, unfortunately I only had a fleeting view as it ducked into cover. I heard it churring which confirm the identification. Further on I had my first Wheatear of the year (a male), several Stonechats and a Kestrel. 2 White Wagtails flew over the head and Chough was on the cliffs. Another highlight was 1, possibly 2 Scandinavian Rock Pipits. I am not familiar with littoralis, this is the first time I have seen one, but they stood out as quite different. I noted features such as greyish head and rump, buff tones to the breast and a prominent supercilium, which seem to support the identification.

Other sightings in the week included a Jack Snipe and 4 Yellowhammers on Marros Mountain. 2 Choughs, including a ringed bird (left leg, red over green with white '05' and right leg white over metel ring) and a Gannet were on my PWC patch at Tenby and 50 Red-throated Divers and a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers at Amroth.






note the grey head and rump, contrasting with browner back


 Scandinavian Rock Pipit


 British Rock Pipit


Wheatear


No comments:

Post a Comment