Wednesday 16 April 2014

Angle Peninsula

After lunch we drove down to Angle and spent the afternoon birding around the peninsula. From West Angle the first birds of note were 2 Black-tailed Godwit circling the beach, one of which showed beautiful summer plumage; the first time I have seen a summer plumaged Black-tailed Godwit. Further on a party of 4 Linnets flew over the scrub. Whilst trying to photograph them a Whitethroat (my first of the year) appeared doing its display flight just above us. Looking to to sea I saw a Shag fly past and a Mallard sleeping on the water. There was plenty of hirundines mostly Swallows but I managed to find 4 House Martins in amongst them. Heading back to the car I passed 3 Chiffchaffs and another Whitethroat.
Next we made a quick stop at Freshwater West to see if there were any Sand Martins. Driving to the car park we passed a Stonechat and a pair of Reed Buntings. After parking it wasn't long before we got to some Sand Martins. I counted 8 with a few Swallows circling around the cliffs.

Linnet

 Whitethroat

Meadow Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment