Monday 24 February 2014

Glaucous Gulls and more- Newgale

Once again the gulls at Newgale were the main attraction for an afternoon of birding. Walking along the shoreline a stream of gulls were constantly flying from one side of the beach to another. In this stream of gulls I managed to pick out 6 Mediterranean Gulls, (4 Adult winter, 2 2CY). Along the shoreline there was a mass of dead birds, mainly Auks. I managed to count:
22 Razorbill
5 Guillimots
1 Gannet 
1 Seal
There was a flock of 50+ Snipe circling the marsh, before settling at the far end. The marsh itself had a flock of 40 Teal, but there was no Green-winged. There were lots of gulls on the marsh, another 4 Med. Gulls (3 Adult winters, 1 3CY). Back on the beach, heading to the south end I found a large white winged gull. On closer inspection I saw that it was a pale 1st winter Glaucous Gull. It showed very well for about half an hour. My dad drove me back to the marsh where a quick scan of the gulls revealed another 1st winter Glaucous Gull.

An unfortunate end to this Razorbill





 The first 1st winter Glaucous Gull

The second 1st winter Glaucous Gull (the palest gull in the photo)

1 comment: